Friday, September 25, 2009

Re: Blogger for students

I have to second the Edmodo recommendation; one of the creators is a school
network person from Illinois. He came to our Classroom 2.0 meet up last
year, and he's a good guy. You can follow Jeff on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/zemote if you're interested. It's been exciting to see
this tool develop; I know Edmodo has been written up a bit including on
Mashable.
Regarding Blogger, you can make most blogs private and give certain people
access to post and view. I'm pretty sure that is the case with Blogger. It
is not part of the Google Apps for Education suite, fyi, so kids would need
a separate login for this. You do not need Gmail in order to use it.

I also just replied to an inquiry about blog options and I thought I'd just
cut and paste what I wrote here:

1) Pageflakes/Netvibes - very cool and easy to use; sort of like a visual
news aggregator; puts your stuff in one place. I've used it to organize
links for kids so that they don't have to navigate all over the place.

2) Blogger/Typepad/Wordpress (hosted version) - very easy, usually free blo=
solutions. Blogger has a link to the "next blog" in Google which is pretty
random and you can't control where it leads to. If you are good with
CSS/HTML, you can remove the link. I don't know how to do it personally. I
use Typepad for my own blog, but wish I could move to Wordpress. Long
story... I'd lose stuff if I transferred. There's also Edublogs, Class
Blogmeister, 21 Classes... education friendly blog services.

3) Wikis - Wikispaces/Google Sites/PBWiki/Wet Paint - I LOVE Wikispaces an=
am beginning to like Google Sites even better. I think PB Wiki or Wet Paint
started charging recently. You can create pages easily and embed videos and
other gadgets/widgets. Can make public or private; Wikispaces lets you make
student accounts without using email addresses.

Browse my links and look at my blog and wiki tags for specific examples:
http://delicious.com/elemenous

Hope that helps,

Lucy Gray