Monday, September 28, 2009

Re: Faculty and Social Networking Sites

We don't have a formal policy, but we were getting more and more middle
school students inviting faculty to be friends on Facebook. We just
recently put out an email reminding teachers and other staff about
professionalism when being friends with current students. We asked that
they treat the online relationship like they would at school. We
discouraged their being friends with current students, but we did not
totally ban the practice. =20

We actually encourage being friends with alumni, so they can stay in
contact, but again remind them about professionalism on their social
networking site.

A lot of our teachers are friends with parents (current and former). We
have not put out a policy on this....yet.

The above policies all have to do with Facebook which we don't use with
our students. However, other social networking sites like Nings that we
do use with our students, we ask that the teachers create an account
that is just used for school, and that the accounts the students have
are also used only for school. Students are welcome to create their own
Ning sites, if their parents say it is okay, but the site they have at
school can only be used for school work.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School