Friday, September 25, 2009

Re: Computer Science and Technology Courses

Just this year, we've added 0.5 credit of computer science as a
graduation requirement.

The course meets twice per week for the whole year (hence, 0.5 credit
since regular classes meet 4x/week) and is a somewhat "classical"
introduction to the variety of fields that make up computer science.

The course covers: programming (Python), robotics, media computation,
systems, networking, public policy, and development of web
applications. We do not teach applications directly - students are
responsible for demonstrating proficiency in standard application
usage (Word, Excel, PowerPoint...etc.) but we do not teach how to use
these applications in the class.

The way we've got it set up now, ALL 9th graders take this course and
that fulfills the requirement. In rare cases (1 this year), we will
let a 9th grader take a different higher level computer science class
(AP CS, Media Computation, or Advanced Topics) to fulfill the
requirement.

Starting this year, we will offer the course in the summer for those
students who want to "get it out of the way" for one reason or
another. That summer course will also be required for those 9th
graders who, for one reason or another, did not take, or received a
failing grade in the 9th grade course during the year.

So, that's the story here in Chicago. Cheers,

Baker Franke
Computer Science Dept.
University of Chicago Laboratory Schools
773.702.5419