Thursday, August 13, 2009

Re: YouTube and Firewalls...

We are a K-12 and do not block YouTube but do limit how much bandwidth it
can use. There are sites that we allow faculty access to and not
students. To that end we have two appliances that take care of this: 1)
Packeteer Packetshaper, allows us to shape network traffic using several
variables. We also have our network divided into VLANs for students,
faculty etc. 2) iPrism by St. Bernard is our content filter. This filter
allows us to control both content and time of day use for students. For
example faculty have full internet access - no filtering and students have
several sites blocked and the internet is turned off from 11pm to 5am (for
boarding students) and we block IM during study halls. We are able to do
this because iPrism is connected to our Active Directory so all traffic
can be controlled by group that the user belongs to. So, this along with
PacketShaper allows us flexibility to give teachers what they need and
prevent students from using all the network bandwidth for entertainment.

Ally Wenzel
Director of Technology
Stevenson School
3152 Forest Lake Road