Friday, August 14, 2009

Re: Beginning of the year communication

Hi Shelly:

We have two individuals at our school who serve as "Learning Catalysts" and
who are responsible for sharing that information at the beginning of the
year (during teacher planning days). At the end of the year, teachers put
together a first draft of class lists for the next year and complete
transition notes for each student. This one-page document has: areas of
strength, areas of challenge, differentiation strategies that worked for
this child, and then final data on reading levels (Fountas and Pinnell
reading assessment), math end-of-year assessments, and then a 1-4 level on 2
or 3 areas within those disciplines, i.e., reading fluency and
comprehension, math concepts and skills. Info regarding summer work, or
ongoing services like OT or tutoring, medication, and so on, are also noted.

The LCs also conduct monthly meetings throughout the year with each grade
level with the focus being on strategies that work to support students.
Each LC has a different area of expertise (gifted education and special
education) and supports teachers to meet the needs of those students, versus
a pullout program for either area. It is during those August meetings that
we (I am one of the LCs) share with teachers any important data about a
student, including any testing we have on file, and other information
regarding academics or behavior.

Teachers are given a notebook which includes support documents on
differentiation for the range of learners and where transition notes are
held and also where they keep notes on each student in their class
throughout the year and during those monthly meetings. It is a system that
has been in place for six years and one which has been refined and tweaked
each year based on feedback from teachers and administrators.

Chris Weiss
Assistant Academic Dean/Learning Catalyst
Trinity Episcopal School
750 East 9th Street
Charlotte, NC 28202