Monday, August 17, 2009

Re: Netbooks for laptop cart

We just purchased 60 ASUS 1005HA's. I spent a lot of time looking into thi=
s purchase and think you certainly could not go wrong with this choice - if=
it is a netbook you want. There are several good options in the market - =
Lenovo (a little cheaper), Toshiba, HP (more expensive but more sturdy), et=
c. but the ASUS has the most robust feature set and great battery life. W=
e bought the top end 1005HA's with 10 hour battery life figuring that in a =
two years they will still be able to last all day without needing a replace=
ment battery. We bought these through Govconnection and were pleased with =
the price and delivery.

Win Xp does not present security issues, but you will not be able to manage=
the machines with group policies. We are trying a config where there is o=
nly one login, student, and where printing is done by IP, and students util=
ize Google Apps for Education. This way the students can get into the mach=
ines quickly, they never need to authenticate with our network and they sti=
ll have access to their own files and can print. Not sure how this is goin=
g to work, but I am really looking forward to finding out. Feel free to co=
ntact me directly if you have more specific questions.

John Caballero
Heathwood Hall Episcopal School