Thursday, August 13, 2009

Re: Beginning of the year communication

We've done it this way in the past and experienced much of what you describ=
e. Teachers did want to get to know the kids first before getting all the =
nitty gritty details. Also, there are so many practical details with start=
ing school, the sense was that this time could be better used. In the past=
two years, we've moved the "transition meeting" to the end of the school y=
ear. The big change was that we only had the Grade Level Dean from the nex=
t year meet with the current teachers (6th grade teachers, Principal, Assis=
tant Principal and 7th Grade Dean as an example). This model was used from=
6th to 7th and 7th to 8th. The Dean would then gather big picture informat=
ion that teachers would need to know (family situations, learning issues, e=
tc.). It would also help us form advisory groups and avoid student conflic=
ts in classes for the next year. Our sense is that it more effectively use=
s teachers time, keeps it quick because we focus on really big information,=
and the timing is perfect in terms of classes, etc.

With all that being said, we have more people involved in the conversation =
when we're transitioning kids from one school to the next. Lower to Middle=
, Middle to Upper.

Mike Allison
Assistant Principal
St. Margaret's Episcopal Middle School