Thursday, August 13, 2009

Re: YouTube and Firewalls...

We had issues with both content and with bandwidth.

We ended up getting a filtering and bandwidth box from Cymphonix. This
allows filtering of sites as well as content for everyone, by group, or
even by individual. It also allows me to limit bandwidth for all
streaming media to a given percentage of my bandwidth (which I have set
at 40%) (again this can be broken down for everyone, by group or by
individual).

Since we use YouTube for a lot of projects by students and teachers, I
have kept it open for everyone. This does continue to require teachers
to be vigilant in monitoring its use for appropriateness. However, with
a device like Cymphonix, you could limit its use to teachers.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School