Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Re: Directory Information -- Follow Up Question

Our directory is purely virtual now (and was last year too). Our web
site is run by Finalsite and we use the portal modules so that every
employee, student, and parent has a personal login and profile.

The directory is automatically built from these profiles (we decide
which fields are visible to different constituencies). Once community
members have logged in to our portal with their unique authentication
information, they have access to faculty, student, and parent
directories. We make visible the same information that we used to
publish in the old paper directories.

The class manager piece of our Finalsite website automatically gives
teachers email distribution lists (through the web portal) for each of
their classes for both students and parents of their students.

All of our enrollment and re-enrollment is done online and parents are
required to submit email addresses. Ninety percent of our
communication out to parents is via email.

We have received many kudos from our families for our current web-
based approach to communication and very few complaints.

Christopher

--
Christopher Butler
Director of Information Services