Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Re: Laptop Carts

We've been running a dozen laptop carts for about six years. The best
carts we've found are made by Spectrum. They are large, they are
heavy, and they are not especially cheap, but the hardware, casters,
cable management, and sliding cart trays have made them a better
choice than others we have tried. They also look halfway decent. We
make about 400 cart deliveries and pickups every quarter and the
Spectrum carts have held up beautifully. The vendor is also easy to
work with on customizations to the carts. A couple of folks report
that the cart-top composite/particle board under the wood grain finish
will chip easily, but we have not had that problem even under very
heavy use conditions.

We did not have a good experience at the beginning with Bretford
carts. They have improved the product line in recent years, but still
lack important features.
The vertical slots on some models cause lots of wear and tear on the
laptops when the cart is moving, and without sliding trays on the
models where the laptops lay flat, your staff and the kids have to be
contortionists to get the laptops out of the bottom trays and to deal
with power cables.

Curt Lieneck
Director of Information Technology
University of Chicago Laboratory Schools