Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Re: online resources for learning to read

Hi Terry -
I'm no longer based in a school, but here are a few of my favorite reading
resources. Generally, I try to avoid drill oriented sites, as I prefer
kids to use technology in deeper ways, but it can't always be avoided!
I think kids can be trained to use some of these web sites with a little
pre-teaching and routine setting by the teacher. For instance, the
activities at Read Write Think are more open ended, but kids could produce
something and print it out there as part of a center rotation.

http://www.readingrockets.org/
http://www.starfall.com/
http://www.readwritethink.org/
within this site: http://www.readwritethink.org/student_mat/index.asp
http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/
http://reading.ecb.org/index.html
http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/clf/index.htm
http://web.mac.com/jburg/GoogleLit/Home.html
http://pbskids.org/lions/
http://www.educationalpress.org/

Hope this helps,

Lucy Gray
Center for Elementary Mathematics and Science Education
University of Chicago
http://cemse.uchicago.edu
773-834-5214 (Office)
682-233-5829 (Google Voice)