Friday, August 14, 2009

Re: iPod Touch Programming Skills

I have created one or two apps and the Developer SDK is very user friendly.
It is not available for the PC, but a single membership to the Apple
Developer site is $99, Enterprise is $299. There are very many support
materials on the site itself. Since the tools are object oriented and
presented in graphical format with a lot of functionality built in, even
though I have been programming for 42 years, I was able to get along without
using any of that knowledge. I would recommend building a syllabus
combining Apple's turorials with some of the hundreds of online tutorials
that are available. Many of them walk you step by step through building
specific applications. Although many of them require editing of code, most
of the simple ones do not require you to know programming. There are game
programming as well as ToDo list and Address Book tutorials out there. When
we were teaching Mindstorms programming, we found this type of learning a
valuable introduction and motivator for learning programming later.
Although I am now consulting independently on Leadership, Governance,
Technology Planning, and Filemaker Information Systems Development, I would
be happy to take a look at any syllabus and maybe make some suggestions. If
you contact me offline, I can look up the sites that I have used as
tutorials and get them to you.

John T.

P.S. I will be in my hometown in Hamilton, NY this fall for a couple of
weeks helping my 87 yr. old mother recover from Hip surgery so she can
continue to play tennis. I would be happy to stop up and
Bounce ideas if you are interested.
--
John K. Thurner
Ed.D. Ed.M. Harvard Graduate School of Education