Friday, August 14, 2009

Re: ISED-L Digest - 12 Aug 2009 to 13 Aug 2009 (#2009-198)

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:40:14 -0400
>From: Matt Melnick <mattymel@me.com>
>Subject: YouTube and Firewalls...
>We would like to allow our faculty to use YouTube because it can be a
>wonderful teaching resource yet we are challenged to monitor its use
>with our students. Our entire campus is protected by a firewall so a
>website is either allowed or blocked for all. I am curious if anyone
>has encountered this and what solutions have you come up with.
>
>Thanks so much,
>
>Matt Melnick
>Technology Teacher
>Independent Day School, FL, USA

Matt,
We also have a SonicWall firewall but do not use it to block YouTube. In
addition, we have a proxy filtering device called iPrism, by St. Bernard
(It is part of our multi-level approach to safe Internet use). It gives
us a great deal of flexibility to create filtering solutions based on
groups. Our student groups (by grade 4 - 8) cannot access YouTube but our
teacher group can. If a teacher wishes to have a student, or the entire
grade, access a YouTube page, or the entire site, they can override the
setting for an hour, a day or a week for all computers or just the one
computer they are using. It's very flexible.

Doug Fodeman

ChildrenOnline.org
Douglas Fodeman
Director of Technology