Friday, January 11, 2008

Re: Help Desk

Kathy,

We went to http://www.webhelpdesk.com/ at the start of the year. I'd used it at my prior school, too. Both were 1-1 laptop programs. We needed to have a web-based, relational database to track users and assets. Users create tickets. Our team replies via the website (with ability to email clients). It can also do billing. It's easy to manage and quite reliable. We host ours internally, but WHD has a hosting plan, too. It's not in the cheap/free category, but it's worth the price.

Let me know if you have questions about it. Once it was on the server, it took a couple of days of tweaking to get all the fields we wanted in place and a little breaking in time for our team, but everyone seems to have adapted well. In the past, our system was more of a "stop me in the hall" kind of thing with the occasional email. This has been a huge improvement and has reporting features that will be useful as well.

Tami Brass
MS Technology Coordinator
St. Paul Academy & Summit School
http://www.spa.edu