Thursday, January 24, 2008

Re: Looking for "great" school websites

www.hhprep.org

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Peter Kwiterovich
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:42 PM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Looking for "great" school websites

www.norfolkacademy.org

www.gilman.edu

St. Christopher's School in Richmond

They all use Whipple Hill

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators on behalf of Barbara
Cohen
Sent: Thu 1/24/2008 7:22 PM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Looking for "great" school websites
=20
Hi there,

I'm hoping that I can request a little bit of help from this awesome
ISED
community -- I am attending a meeting tomorrow (Friday 1/25) morning to
deconstruct our current school website. We used one of the major
Independent
School website vendors, and while the Development/Admissions folks are
quite
happy with the external PR look and feel of our site, our intranet (with
portals for students, faculty, parents and alumni) has been incredibly
un-user-friendly, requires too much clicking and navigating for the
end-user, and is not so easy or intuitive for teachers who want to
create
content for their class pages. Additionally, it has lots of limits in
terms
of integrating with our email system, linking to blogs, and embedding
Web
2.0 features and widgets (blogs, flickr libraries, etc.)

I've been given the homework of finding some "great" school websites.
Based
on the shortcomings I've described above, do any of you have some good
examples you could send my way? Hopefully this might be useful to some
of
the rest of you out there as well.

(I apologize for the cross-post...I posted this to the Classroom 2.0 and
ISENET Ning groups as well...)

Thanks so much,
Barbara Cohen, Educational Technology Coordinator
Marin Country Day School
bcohen@mcds.org
http://barblcohen.edublogs.org