Friday, January 11, 2008

Google Gears -- (wasRe: Outsourcing email for free?)

Hello, all,

As I state in my earlier post in this thread, I think
that outsourcing email/services to Google is a Bad
Idea (tm) for reasons of user privacy and data
control. However, in the interests of balance I also
wanted to point out a good thing Google has done.
Besides, if someone from Google is reading this
thread, I don't want to hurt their feelings :)

(and if you're reading this in Gmail -- I wonder what
kind of ad will get thrown onscreen as a result of the
mix of technical details and discussions of feelings:
maybe an ad for workplace stress reducers? ;) )

Anyways -- check out Google Gears -- it's an open
source app (really a browser extension) released by
Google to simplify bringing web apps offline, and
re-synching online.

There are tutorials available that show how, for
example, to work with wikipedia online.

See http://gears.google.com/ to start digging in.

Cheers,

Bill

--- Keith E Gatling <kgatling@MPH.NET> wrote:

> One of the minuses you mentioned was the inability
> to read Gmail offline.
> But they do allow you to POP, so that shouldn't be a
> problem if you have a
> standard desktop client.
<snip>

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs