Saturday, January 26, 2008

Re: For Web Masters/ Designers

Hello, all,

I'm probably in a slightly different situation than
some of the other people responding to this thread as
I'm part of a team of folks building sites, and we
have people dedicated to graphics and coding. I'm
basically the guy who writes the spec, and then puts
the pieces together, so my hardware/software needs are
modest.

With that said, my toolkit includes an archaic Dell
Inspiron 8600 laptop with 1GB of RAM -- I've been
meaning to get a new laptop for the last year or so,
but it's doing everything I need, so I've been taking
an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. I
realize that saying this in such a cavalier way
invites a hard drive crash; as soon as I send this
email I will do a full system backup :)

When I want to switch to my dual monitor setup, I
power up the newly arrived OLPC! No kidding -- I use
the OLPC as my research machine, and the Dell as my
work machine. We store the overwhelming majority of
our resources online, including our project management
site, so this works out well for me.

WRT the software I have running: I do most of my
initial testing of sites in Firefox, and I make
extensive use of both firebug and the web developers
toolbar. I would be crippled without these tools. I
usually have IE open as well for cross-browser
compatibility testing, particularly if we are nearing
a launch.

I also use 7Zip, Filezilla (and I no longer use WinSCP
now that Filezilla supports SFTP), Putty, Photoshop,
OpenOffice, Notepad (for php snippets, css, and html),
and occasionally Dreamweaver (when I need to see line
numbers in code).

Our devs build in Zend, although we have one dev who
still insists on using a text editor. Our graphics
folks use the usual suspects, mainly Photoshop,
Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, etc.

WRT OS, our devs use Linux, Windows, and OSX; our
graphics folks are running OSX exclusively. I'm
running a dual boot machine on my laptop (XP SP2 and
Ubuntu), but I spend 95% of my time in Windows. For
those of you running Vista, I'd love to hear how
that's working. The knowledge that Vista has been
unleashed in this world causes me to break out in
hives if I think about it for too long.

Cheers,

Bill

--- Norman Maynard <nmaynard@thorntonfriends.org>
wrote:

> For those of you who are web designers, web masters,
> I'm curious: what kind
> of hardware are you using?
>
> I find that when I am working on our web site, I can
> often have open:
> Dreamweaver, Lightroom, Photoshop, Word, Filezilla,
> media player, Firefox
> and may be a few other programs open - as well as
> trying to drive two
> monitors, and my poor little laptop just can't
> handle it.
>
> What kind of rig do you all use?
>
> --
> Norman Maynard
> Principal
> Thornton Friends Upper School
> Silver Spring, MD

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative
> commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike
> license.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.