Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Re: Technology & Reading

Hello, all,

There are a few options that deliver comparable
functionality within open source applications.

First, within Drupal, there is the annotate module --
http://drupal.org/project/annotate

There is a version out and working, and the developer
of this module is currently expanding the code into
something even better.

Then, you have comment press, developed by the folks
at The Future of the Book (whose Sophie Project is
also worth checking out ) -- Comment Press is a theme
for Wordpress that allows users to annotate texts:
http://www.futureofthebook.org/commentpress/

Finally, there is Marginalia:
http://www.geof.net/code/annotation

Marginalia was integrated into Moodle a few versions
back, but I don't know if anyone has kept that code up
to date.

Cheers,

Bill
--- Wade Thaxton <Wade.Thaxton@depaulschool.org>

(http://knowingpoe.thinkport.org/writer/telltaleheart.asp).
> This site
> will read to you, but more importantly will allow a
> reader/user to
> interact with the text. You can insert icons that
> mean different
> things. For instance one is an exclamation point,
> which you would use
> if something surprised you in the text.
>
> My question is this: is there a software or site
> that will allow you to
> insert any text and then allow the user these same
> capabilities as the
> above site does? Please share other ideas you might
> have on how to
> accomplish this same thing in possibly Word or some
> other software we
> likely have access to.
>
> If you haven't seen this site I recommend you check
> it out.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Wade Thaxton
>
> Computer & Tech Teacher
>
> The de Paul School
>
> Wade.Thaxton@depaulschool.org

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative
> commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike
> license.

Be a better friend, newshound, and