Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Re: Vista & Office 2007 on new student laptops

Hello, all,

I was just about to respond in a similar vein as Ann
--

Although I haven't been a sysadmin for a few years
now, my general rule with any MS product was not to

As Ann says, the switch in productivity software is
often less of a shift -- IMO, this is also due to the
reality that students are spending more time online,
and only using a small portion of the range of
functionality within the Office Suite --

Toward that end, maybe this would be agood time to
give OpenOffice a whirl --

Cheers,

Bill
--- Ann Hamel <ahamel@fvs.edu> wrote:

> Alex,
> My experience with the two products this year would
> have me voting for
> just the opposite. Vista has been nothing but a
> thorn in our side.
> There are so many things we can no longer do because
> of the dramatic
> changes in Vista. Very security-oriented, but not
> user friendly. Maybe
> the SP1 will be out by summer, but even then I would
> be cautious. On
> the other hand, the transition to Office 2007 has
> been fairly smooth.
> The changes there are mostly visual and not
> conceptual and the learning
> curve has been a nice and gentle slope. Our
> students (who supply their
> own laptops) have come to us begging to help them
> re-install XP over
> their Vista and others have given us the
> patiently-waiting-for-you-to-catch-up look in
> regards to Office 2007 -
> no changes wanted there.
>
> Good luck!
> -Ann