Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Re: Outsourcing email for free? (UNCLASSIFIED)

We have never provided email service to either faculty or students and
have no intention to do so. besides the fact that we want to teach our
students how to communicate with email, not everyone in the real world
uses the same system, they get to keep an email address long after
they leave our school. This also has practical and legal advantages.

1. We save on the cost of maintaing servers in house.
2. We require no staff time to manage server, making sure they don't
get spam and so on.
3. No legal entanglements. If law enforcement want to look email
records they will have to deal with Google, Microsoft or the local ISP
all of which are better able to deal with them than we are. So far we
have had only one request of this kind. We simply explained that we
have no mail server and thus have no email records to give them. They
went to the ISP.
4. We don't have to have a "Plan B' we don't care what the student's
an faculty's email provider does as far as advertising and so on.

We maintain a small set of groups using Google groups.

Greg