Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Re: For Web Masters/ Designers

I tend to leave all my working applications open when I am actively
coding/designing: Photoshop, Illustrator, Coda (a really wonderful
coding app), Parallels VM for IE in Windows, all the other various
browsers I test against, and occasionally Aperture. Parallels in
particular is a pretty large memory hog.

My machine is a Macbook Pro with an Nvidia 8600M GT graphics card--the
model that was released early last summer. It has 2GB of of RAM and I
run an external 23" Cinema Display while I am at my desk. I have been
exceptionally happy with this setup. I get very little application
slowdown with the exception of Aperture, which really seems to like
having the whole computer to itself. If I had to make a change, I'd
say upping the RAM to 4GB would be the first, though it would be
mostly useful for allowing Parallels more memory.

(By the way, I am a long time lurker. Thank you all for the great
conversations that those of us who rarely post are enjoying as well!)

Best,
Joe

_______________________________________________
Joseph S. Kallo
Webmaster
The University of Chicago | Laboratory Schools
1362 East 59th Street | Chicago, IL 60637
Phone: (773) 834 1866
jkallo@ucls.uchicago.edu


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.