Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Re: Outsourcing email for free? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

I think that last time I checked a 5 year ROI for an email system it was
around $3000 per year and a month of technical support for 150 faculty
and staff. That included an Exchange Server, Barracuda Spam Firewall,
and backups. Google could make a lot of sense especially for the
large (lower infrastructure costs) and small schools (reduced staff
time). For those in the middle (like I was), it is not a tremendous
amount of money or time so the advantages would need to be
non-financial, especially if you recently made an investment in the
system (i.e. bought a new server).=20

Using Google has a number of advantages including off-site storage, easy
mobile access, and broad browser compatibility. It has some
disadvantages in terms of enforcing data retention policies, scaling
attachment sizes, and integration with other local systems (e.g.
Exchange integration with SharePoint). =20

My only real heartburn (since I am helping a small school decide if it
is right for them) is you must have a Plan B. With 60 days notice,
Google could begin making this a paid service, add advertising, or make
other substantial changes. As a free service, you really have no
position to barging from. Having gone through this with Blackboard and
WordPress (both free that converted to cost) you have to be prepared for
that eventuality. =20

_J

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net