Thursday, January 31, 2008

Re: Vista & Office 2007 on new student laptops

Jason, Alex, et al,

I'm also interested to hear from anyone who has gone to Vista on tablets
for the same reason... I've heard that Vista is more of a native OS for
tablets, as opposed to an add-on to XP: "XP, tablet edition," but have
no hard data on this. So I'm wondering whether we should go with Vista
on our 08-09 crop of tablets (w/2Gb RAM) and keep XP for all our older
machines.

I'd echo the comments on OneNote 2007 as a huge improvement over OneNote
2003. Even if a school were sticking with Office 03, you could still run
OneNote 2007 with it. I haven't heard of any open-source alternatives to
OneNote.

I'd also agree that the switch to Office 07 is not as painful as users
might anticipate. It's pretty off-putting at first because it's not menu
driven, but the feedback I've gotten from most users once they get over
the hump (1-2 weeks of use) is that they prefer the new ease-of-use
features, like zooming, auto-preview of font changes, more intuitive
location of features, etc.=20

Looking forward to the m700,
-Demetri

Demetri Orlando
Battle Ground Academy
Franklin, TN
demetrio@battlegroundacademy.org

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:19:13 -0600
From: Jason Hyams=20
Subject: Re: Vista & Office 2007 on new student laptops

We plan on moving our incoming students to tablet computers.
The reason for my interest in Vista is how it performs on a tablet
versus XP. The Office 2007 package ships with OneNote and our faculty
currently use
Office 2003 with OneNote.