Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Re: Vista & Office 2007 on new student laptops

Alex,
My experience with the two products this year would have me voting for
just the opposite. Vista has been nothing but a thorn in our side.
There are so many things we can no longer do because of the dramatic
changes in Vista. Very security-oriented, but not user friendly. Maybe
the SP1 will be out by summer, but even then I would be cautious. On
the other hand, the transition to Office 2007 has been fairly smooth.
The changes there are mostly visual and not conceptual and the learning
curve has been a nice and gentle slope. Our students (who supply their
own laptops) have come to us begging to help them re-install XP over
their Vista and others have given us the
patiently-waiting-for-you-to-catch-up look in regards to Office 2007 -
no changes wanted there.

Good luck!
-Ann