Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Re: Query - Lost and Found - What works?

We have a uniform closet that is also the lost and found area. Parents =
volunteer to keep it neat, with clothes all hung up by category (shirts, =
jackets, skirts, sweaters, etc.) Uniforms are on one side, non-uniform =
on the other side. Parents check all the items to see if there is a =
name on it. If there is a name on it, the parent volunteers deliver the =
item to the classroom where it belongs. (They have class lists, so they =
know who is in what classroom.)

At the end of the school year we send several reminders to parents to =
come and check out the closet to make sure everything is retrieved that =
belongs to them. Students are also reminded. We donate all non-uniform =
items to a local Good Will. All uniform items are open for taking by =
parents during our uniform exchange days.

The system works well because the area is organized and neat. There are =
no lunch pails with old lunches left there all year. If a lunch pail =
without a name is found, the lunch is dumped out, and then the clean =
lunch pail is kept in the lost and found. Clothes are easy to find. =
Everything with a name on it is returned to the owner, so this keeps the =
pile down to a pretty manageable level.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School