Thursday, May 6, 2010

Re: Parents posting videos on You Tube or Facebook of School Activities

Hi!

Regarding bans of recording equipment - that would have to include
cell phones, right? Not likely. It's tough enough just to get them
muted during performances.

I've been following this discussion as a teacher, and suddenly
realized just this morning that I am a problem parent as well. I have
taken a few short videos of my son's basketball games and crew meets,
and shared them with family and friends on Facebook. Of course, I have
no clue whether or not any of those other kids' parents, from any of
those schools, gave permission for their image to be shared publicly.
Despite being an educator and being reasonably knowledgeable about
technology and tech policies, I just got caught up in the joy, to
paraphrase Ann.

So my instinct is we need to do what we can to educate parents,
students, and for that matter ourselves (ahem), about what appropriate
use should be, react as needed to violations of school policy and/or
various laws which are pointed out to us, and leave it at that.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L