Thursday, May 6, 2010

Re: faculty and texting

Well...is it appropriate for faculty to be emailing students at midnight?
Suppose the student has a question about the assignment that he's working
on, and emails/texts the teacher first?

Suppose the student is one that the teacher knew "socially" first, as one of
his daughter's friends when they were in 2nd grade, and is seen by the
student in question more as "Suzie's dad" than Mr Gianini, the Algebra
teacher?

More rules create more loopholes for evil people to crawl through, while
punishing people who technically broke the rules because of innocent
circumstances that the rulemakers never considered.

I much prefer the rule of "Would you mind if other people knew you were
doing this?"