Friday, May 14, 2010

Re: Confidentiality

Hi!

I'm a Sub-Admin on our email system; while I could technically
"snoop," our Technology Director gets the requests to do so in real
life. I haven't signed anything, and doubt he has, but our AUP
includes the clause that users have the right to know when information
is being collected on them which we interpret to mean if we go into
your email, you have a right to know that it's happened. I believe
only our Head of School and Dean of Students can authorize this.

When the kids find out about the fact we can read their email and get
up in arms (an annual event), I just tell them that yes, I could read
their email but don't and never would unless asked by the Head of
School or Dean of Students to do so related to a question of safety
for members of our community. I tell them I respect them way too much
to just randomly read their email, and besides I have no interest in
being fired. They generally accept this without too much fuss.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L