Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Re: Google Apps Outages

Hi Tom,

I just read this article the other day...
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_gears_coming_to_gmail.php
Not swearing by its veracity, but hopeful as ever.

Been using GG for Google Docs now and am quite impressed.
-Cam


On 10/20/08 1:41 PM, "Tom Phelan" <tphelan@PEDDIE.ORG> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:32:05 -0700, Jonathan Mergy <jmergy@lwhs.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/actionarticle.do?command=viewArticleBasic&arti
>> cleId=9117322
>>
>> Always an issue with ASPs but not being able to do anything about the outage
>> for systems I am responsible for would drive me nuts!
>>
>
> I hear what your saying re not being in control. But ultimately lack of
> control is the concern, not downtime. Google's uptime is sure to surpass
> anything we can provide. The downside to control is that the more things we
> have to control the thinner we are stretched. My answer is that delegating
> and letting go often makes the most sense when considering all of the things
> for which we are responsible and the reality of a limited supply of time and
> money.
>
> Every system will experience down time. Personally, I'd rather have Google's
> army of techs on the case then me and my network administrator trying to
> reload the mail server at 2AM on a Saturday morning. As far as Google's
> support is concerned, I've had good experiences so far. Also, I've been
> using Google Apps as my primary email system since April of 2007 and haven't
> noticed any problem lasting more than 15 minutes. This is significantly
> better than I can say about our Lotus Notes server over the same time period.
>
> The one thing I WOULD like to see is Google Gears used to provide offline
> access to email as it does with Docs. What users most miss during an outage
> is the ability to process email even if send/receive is delayed.

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L