Friday, October 24, 2008

Re: Online Parent Database - Does It Exist?

Hello, Renee,

This can be built easily in Drupal --

Use these modules:

Content Profile: http://drupal.org/project/content_profile
CCK: http://drupal.org/project/cck
Optionally, use Views: http://drupal.org/project/views

When you install the Content Profile module, it will create a content type called "Profile"

Then, install CCK -- this will allow you to add fields to your profile; for example, you can set up addresses, alternate contacts, and even relationships between other users. You can also adjust visibility settings by field, so some fields could be private and others public. If you wanted, you could use the Google Maps module to display your users on a Google Map: http://drupal.org/project/gmap

If you wanted to create flexible, searchable listing of users, you could use the Views module to generate these lists.

Finally, the email notification on edits works out of the box; this is core functionality.

Cheers,

Bill