Friday, October 31, 2008

Re: ISED - bandwidth

I also use Ntop, which is open source. http://www.ntop.org
It gives you a very detailed view of traffic on your network, allowing you =
to track throughput per IP and per protocol. However, it's quite a bit har=
der to set up than MRTG.

Besides bandwidth, a few things I use MRTG to graph are:
# of open files on the file server
# of nat translations on the router
Server room temperature (via apc monitoring box)
Ping response time from google

If the data you want to graph isn't accessible via SNMP, you can even write=
a little perl script that will grab the data and pass it to MRTG in the co=
rrect format.

Peter Lindberg
Collegiate School
Network Administrator