Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Re: old video and copyright

It is possible to read section 108 in a way that allows you to create a copy, or as is often the case with 108 ..... Not.

See:
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108

It basically revolves around:
1. There is no financial advantage and you have not deprived anyone of income.
2. You have made a good faith effort to obtain it through purchase and could not find it, or could not find it at a reasonable price.
3. You do not have to break/circumvent any encryption or copyright enforcement mechanisms to create the copy.

IANAL but I would recommend sending a letter to PBS (who I think aired it originally) requesting it and keep the the answer on file. In the interim make a copy and use it. Given that it is so hard to find, you may be a preservationist.

_J
Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com