Wednesday, October 29, 2008

FW: faculty use of social networking sites

This is in our handbooks. I have a slightly different version for the
students.

=20

Social Use of Technology
Online social networking has become a huge concern for schools and
families. Websites such as MySpace, Facebook, Xanga, and other various
social networking/blog sites carry some responsibilities that require
community members to be careful with the type and content of information
posted. Users should take care that they do not post personal
information that can be accessed via these websites. Email addresses,
physical addresses; phone numbers, and personal photographs should never
be displayed in a public forum. Responsibility for personal safety
rests with the user. Community members should also be careful with
their "online relationships". Under no circumstances should a user ever
meet with an online friend. The Madeira School takes online safety
seriously, and any user who receives threatening or unwelcome
communications, or any other communications that give rise to concerns
about personal safety, should bring them to the attention of the
Director of Technology. In addition you should never post photographs
or personal information of any Madeira community member.

I also send out lovely articles as they come up.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/08/12/studentsteachers.online/index.html

=20

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/27/AR200804
2702213_pf.html