Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Re: 1:1 Laptop Planning

Pamela Livingston has written a wonderful book on 1:1 planning for ISTE that
is absolutely worth reading:

http://www.amazon.com/1-1-Learning-Laptop-Programs/dp/1564842258/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224604016&sr=8-6

Another good resource is Pascack Valley's 1:1 e-Learning site. They
documented the entire process of bringing the district to 1:1 (including
some things you won't need like dealing with public referendums). That site
can be found here:

http://www.pascack.k12.nj.us/702341114175031/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=52684&702341114175031Nav=|99|&NodeID=99

I think most of 1:1 folks encourage a longer planning time, but if you're
dealing with a high faculty turnover rate (it sounds like you are), their
plans may not apply. If your PD is tightly coordinated, but you're dealing
with a 75% attrition in faculty over the next two years, I'd consider
bringing this out to the HR folks at your school - having benchmarks for the
folks they bring in. You're going to have a very hard time training all
these incoming people every year if you keep this basic turnover rate
indefinitely. In that case, the 1.75 year planning period seems
reasonable. Most 1:1 plans rely on the fact that *most* faculty will be
around from planning to rollout and the concentration is on buy-in at first
(well, training to, but buy-in is soooo important). I'm not sure that's
your issue here, so you're doing a little bit of groundbreaking as far as
planning goes.

And, yes, at the end of the day, joy should be somewhere in here. Although,
sometimes, that's almost as hard to come by as buy-in!

My $0.02

Jen

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 07:10, Robert Bauer <rbauer@aisgz.edu.cn> wrote:

> We are planning to gradually roll out a 1:1 program, with planning to cont
> inue this year, teachers to receive a laptop next year and tightly coordin
> ated PD including enumerated expectations regarding use in classes when we
> get there in year three. We will organize on-line and face to face trainin
> g among cadres of teacher trainers, send some to Hong Kong for multiple ob
> servations and such.
>
> The question though, is how much lead time did your school use or would yo
> u recommend from committing to a gradual 1:1 until teachers receive a comp
> uter. There is some concern that we should plan the rest of this year, pla
> n throughout 09-10, train in 10-11 and finally put computers in one or two
> grades in 11-12.
>
> Is 1.75 years of planning really necessary? Did your school do it in more
> or less? I know careful planning beyond just infrastructure and training m
> ust take place. Policies, equipment, repair arrangements etc. but feel 1.7
> 5 years of planning might result in loss of anticipation? We are an intern
> ational school outside of Hong Kong. By 2011-12 we will likely have a 75%
> turn over in staff.
>
> Any thoughts?

> Robert Bauer
> Information Technology Director
> American International School of Guangzhou
> Tel: (8620) 8735-3392 Fax: (8620) 8735-3339
> rbauer@aisgz.edu.cn

Jennifer Davenport
Director of Technology
Saddle River Day School