Monday, October 20, 2008

Re: Google Apps Outages

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:32:05 -0700, Jonathan Mergy <jmergy@lwhs.org> wrote:

>http://www.computerworld.com/actionarticle.do?command=viewArticleBasic&arti
>cleId=9117322
>
>Always an issue with ASPs but not being able to do anything about the outage
>for systems I am responsible for would drive me nuts!
>

I hear what your saying re not being in control. But ultimately lack of
control is the concern, not downtime. Google's uptime is sure to surpass
anything we can provide. The downside to control is that the more things we
have to control the thinner we are stretched. My answer is that delegating
and letting go often makes the most sense when considering all of the things
for which we are responsible and the reality of a limited supply of time and
money.

Every system will experience down time. Personally, I'd rather have Google's
army of techs on the case then me and my network administrator trying to
reload the mail server at 2AM on a Saturday morning. As far as Google's
support is concerned, I've had good experiences so far. Also, I've been
using Google Apps as my primary email system since April of 2007 and haven't
noticed any problem lasting more than 15 minutes. This is significantly
better than I can say about our Lotus Notes server over the same time period.

The one thing I WOULD like to see is Google Gears used to provide offline
access to email as it does with Docs. What users most miss during an outage
is the ability to process email even if send/receive is delayed.

--
Tom Phelan
Director of Technology
Peddie School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L