Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Re: Thoughts on Technology and the Brain

Hi!

I did find the article interesting - thanks, Marti! I understand and
agree with the idea that today's Internet users have extra-strong
skills (on average) in filtering information and making snap
decisions. What I wonder about is where the training is coming
regarding *when* making snap decisions can be a good thing and when
more reflective thought is necessary.

I agree entirely with the following passage, with emphasis on the "also" (!):
"We're seeing an evolutionary change. The people in the next
generation who are really going to have the edge are the ones who
master the technological skills and also face-to-face skills," Small
told Reuters in a telephone interview.

In short, we need to keep our lives in balance. Hard to argue with that!

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School