Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Re: 1:1 Laptop Planning

Hi Robert,

You may want to gather a few important stakeholders in your school and
go through the free Online 1:1 Readiness Assessment
(http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3DSJet9Op5BC80DYD5Sqp_2fxQ_3d_3d)
offered by Educational Collaborators. Full disclosure here...I work
with that group. However, almost 100 schools have taken the free
assessment which guides you through the planning process of the various
areas of a 1:1 program. When completed, you have the option of talking
with a skilled 1:1 technology director (again, no charge) whose
experience is at a school similar in nature to yours. We have a few
people with experience with International Schools that may benefit the
unique challenges your school faces, such as huge turnover.

That being said, the roll out time at each school is (or at least should
be) dependent on the culture of the school. Your turnover rate suggests
you should move faster with faculty. However, I would make sure that
more stable groups (perhaps board or admin) have the time to understand
it deeply enough to provide a bedrock of support through the faculty
transitions, including hiring. Your goals as an institution will also
color your professional development plans. Take time to really explore
WHY you are doing this. Get good consensus among stakeholders on WHY
you are doing it. The answer to that question will color all sorts of
other decisions, such as software, policies, professional development,
etc.

Good luck! Planning a 1:1 program is one of the most exciting exercises
I have had in my career. Enjoy it!

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman