Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Re: old video and copyright (the John Palfrey perspective)

Jason Johnson on October 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM wrote:
>I would recommend sending a letter to PBS

Hi Karen .. I have always been fascinated by questions like this one and
enjoyed reading Jason Johnson's answer.
Several years ago when I was at The Chapin School, we hired John Palfrey
from the Harvard's Berkman Center and we paid him as a consultant to help
educate us on several similar "sticky" issues.

If you read the notes at
http://www.summercore.com/wittenbergdoor/JPnotes.html
you may get a clear sense of how he thinks about these issues. His
intelligence and perspective were extremely helpful to me in achieving a
better understanding of all the gray areas.

Although I am no longer at Chapin and have lost touch with him, I feel
extremely confident in saying that items 1 and 4 on that Web page are
absolutely in your favor, Karen, and you should avoid the self-doubt of
"doesn't feel right" ... go with Jayme's proactive session and no need to
worry anymore!

Steve
p.s. John Palfrey's blog is at http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/palfrey/ ...
his picture and credentials are at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/62/
... he is a wonderful speaker if you ever get the chance to hear him

Steve Bergen (sbergen@cstorefront.org)
CIO and Computer Teacher, The Children's Storefront
70 East 129th Street, New York, NY 10035

An Independent School in Harlem
Web site: http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org
Tech Saturday Info is posted at http://www.techsaturdays.org

also co-director, The "Summercore" Teaching Company
until the Pats go 19-0 ... http://www.summercore.com

Summercore 2009 includes June 15-19 at Castilleja, June 22-26 at New
Canaan
Country School , July 6-10 at Berkeley Carroll
July 13-17 at Horace Mann, NY as well as July 27-31 at Shorecrest in St.
Petersburg, FL (both open to public)