Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

On Jun 11, 2008, at 9:42 AM, David Liebmann wrote:

> I am the founding head-elect of Greenwich Village High School in NYC,
> which will open in September 2009. Of the many tasks before me,
> one is
> choosing between Mac and PC. I am sure there are strong opinions on
> either side, but I am curious to hear from those who might have
> insights
> into the best choice to support the majority of school operations,
> including the business functions of the school.

David,

Best of luck in your new adventure, it is a rare opportunity to start
a new school from scratch!

Too bad one of your tasks is "...choosing between Mac and PC" for
your new school. Count me among those school folks who do not
believe that a school should be single platform environment, either
WindowsPC or Mac. From a technical design perspective schools are
among the most challenging organizations to design a technology
infrastructure for in that they are by necessity such multi purpose
institutions. Some folks in your new school will have their needs
best met by WindowsPCs, some by Mac, and some users will have their
needs best met by both platforms (we've found a current generation
Mac running WindowsXP via Parallels Desktop a great solution for this
group.)

Hope This Helps,

Mark

Mark Nelson