Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Re: Blocking Downloads (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

I did not get a chance to test this but it may be a 50% solution. =20

--Create a folder under the account used by students.
--Set this folder as the download location for Safari and Firefox.
--Log in as an administrator and change the access privileges to the
folder so the student account no longer can access the folder (i.e. make
owner, read and write permissions admin only). These instructions will
give you the basics.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=3DMac/10.4/en/mh669.html

When a student starts a download they should get an error and the file
should not be downloaded. This is not an ideal solution and it is
easily circumvented but it might suffice to limit the issue until you
find a better solution.

Some firewalls, content filters, and proxy servers will also allow you
to set up special rules for individual machines that allow you to block
specified file types. This may be the case for you as well and would
probably meet your needs if you are only trying to conserve bandwidth.
A true traffic shaping/management solution would be the ideal step (i.e.
packeteer, cymphonix, etc.) since you could prioritize traffic rather
than blocking it completely.

_Jason

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net