Friday, June 13, 2008

Re: Eliminating Servers Re: Best Platform for a New School

We're doing the same at our school and are beginning to see the benefits =
that you have highlighted -- 24/7 access, no backup or hardware issues, =
no worries about ensuring currency of solutions. We moved to Finalsite =
last year and Veracross a couple of years back. This summer we are =
moving away from a hosted Microsoft Sharepoint portal to Finalsite =
portals. We had an inhouse Maintenance tracking system and have just =
subscribed to Maintenance Direct from Schooldude.com. We are exploring =
the use of Veracross for our asset tracking needs so we can eliminate in =
house maintenance/support. We have a Google Apps domain and use google =
docs for all our collaboration work -- docs, spreadsheets and =
presentations, and next year will be exploring the use of Google sites =
for online student portfolios. We also use Wikispaces and love it! I =
believe we are being able to actually use technology in creative ways a =
lot more because we aren't limited by in house expertise in solutions.=20
=20
Shabbi=20
=20
American School of Bombay