Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

There's a third - go with free and open source software!

Schools save 20% to 75% on hardware AND software when going to open
source - giving you more start-up money for more PC's. The quality of
the software has gotten extremely good - for instance, the Boston
Celtics use Ubuntu.

Any of the main distro's are good (Ubuntu, Red Hat, Debian, etc),
OpenOffice is now the desktop office suite of choice for all of the
Indiana schools and Geneva, Switzerland just announced they're moving to
it in September, 2008. There's no need for anti-virus and the number of
applications to choose from is in the tens of thousands - all free.

Good luck!

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:42 -0400, David Liebmann wrote:

> I am the founding head-elect of Greenwich Village High School in NYC,
> which will open in September 2009. Of the many tasks before me, one is
> choosing between Mac and PC. I am sure there are strong opinions on
> either side, but I am curious to hear from those who might have insights
> into the best choice to support the majority of school operations,
> including the business functions of the school.
>=20
> David Liebmann
>=20
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.