Thursday, June 12, 2008

Integrating Macs into PC networks - How?

Any hints for a neophyte cross-platform administrator? I'm a PC person by
background and we're going to be adding a handful of Mac Minis for our sixth
graders to do blogging, web design, etc. I'm in favor of teaching students
multiple platforms; my concern is the logistics. I don't know how to get
the Macs to play nice with my Windows servers. (HOW) HAVE ANY OF YOU
INTEGRATED MACS INTO AN EXISTING WINDOWS NETWORK?

First a short background:
Our school servers run on Server03. We use Active Directory to map network
drives, provide 'favorites/bookmarks', to protect the local workstations
from certain changes (password protected screensavers for example) and
restrict/provide access to certain folders on the server. We use local
profiles but users (students, staff and admin) have designated server-based
folders for their use. Most software (eg Office) is run locally with data
files saved on the server; we use a few web-based applications.

Ideally, I'd like the students using the new Macs to login using the same
authentication (user ID and password) they use on the PCs. Somehow I want
the Macs to seek authentication from AD. That way if they change their
password on the PCs (which they must do periodically) they will also have
changed their password on the Macs. I would like them to be able to save
onto and open files from the server drives, which would allow them to fit
into our existing backup solution.

I do NOT plan on having the Macs running Windows or Linux.

Please help and don't hesitate to contact me off-list.

Dan Berger
Jewish Primary Day School
of the Nations Capital
240-731-7340 (cell)