Monday, June 30, 2008

Re: Social web and marketing your school

Hello, Lorrie,

I did a presentation on this at CASE/NAIS in January, 2007 -- my presentation powerpoint is at available on the OpenAcademic blog at http://openacademic.org/news/cold-day-philadelphia -- the presentation is licensed under a Creative Commons NC license.

In my presentation, I referred to the blog of Clayton Wilcox as a both a sign of what can go wrong, and as a sign of what can go right. Clayton Wilcox's blog is no longer available at its original url, but thanks to the internet archive you can still find selected posts, such as the last post he made before closing his blog.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060615151710/http://www.sptimesphotos.com/blogs/classroom/2006/05/end-of-blog-site.html

Strictly by comment count, his blog was wildly successful. However, his blog also offers a case study in troll management.

In a later presentation on this topic (that I gave last year at a regional CASE conference in Vegas) I had the pleasure of showing the MySpace pages of Kaplan Test Prep at http://www.myspace.com/kaplan, and my personal favorite, the MySpace page for the Cherry Hill Kaplan center: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=156155336

One of the things I always try and reinforce with schools as they consider using MySpace/Facebook/SN du jour is that an online mistake is forever. Use the social web, but before you get in, make sure you know *why* you are using the social web.

I'd love to see a copy of this article when it comes out, and I'd also love to hear more about the work you inquire about in questions 1-5 -- any way we could keep this thread public?

Cheers,

Bill