Friday, June 13, 2008

Re: Eliminating Servers Re: Best Platform for a New School

I'm amazed at the number of projects that our students and teachers have =
created over the past 24 months that require little to no local area =
network storage. I might also add that they've managed to do so using =
tools that are mostly free. I can't help but think that these kinds of =
projects will only proliferate going forward. Most of the large, media =
projects that our students create (movies, audio files, working on raw =
images) all get saved to the local hard drive of the iMacs anyway. =
Students then archive their finished pieces to their wikis, YouTube, =
DVDs, etc if they want to keep their project when they are done with it.

Most of the things that students save on network file servers include =
things like word files and powerpoints, and we've been transitioning the =
students to google docs for these types of things over the past year.

Here are a few projects that have required zero data storage on the LAN:

1. 5th grade school tour podcasts-students took pictures, wrote scripts =
in google docs, and then recorded their narration in garage band. With =
the exception of the google doc script, all media was saved to the local =
hard drive. Completed projects were then uploaded to my .mac account =
at: http://web.mac.com/mjmonty/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html

2. 7th grade booktalk voicethread projects...all media, including =
pictures and audio, is saved on voicethread.com. To view some of these =
projects, visit: =
http://usmenglish7.blogspot.com/2008/01/seventh-periods-book-talks.html

3. Famous Faces of Slavery projects completed by teams of 8th grade =
students in english class...all files saved on a wiki: =
http://famousfacesofslavery.wikispaces.com

4. 8th grade french class voicethread projects...students created their =
voicethreads and embedded them on their teacher's wiki page as a way to =
turn in their projects. Again, everything saved in voicethread and the =
wiki:

http://usmfrench.wikispaces.com/Les+voicethreads

5. 8th Grade Washington DC Blog...we used this to chronicle our trip to =
DC this past spring. We uploaded gigs and gigs worth of photos and =
video to our middle school flickr account on a nightly basis. We also =
had a few students post cell phone photos live as they experienced the =
trip (this was really cool). See the blog at: =
http://usmdc2008.blogspot.com/

6. French class oral language samples recorded on portable voice =
recorders (Olympus WS110s) and posted to the class wiki: =
http://usmfrench.wikispaces.com/Interro+orale+15-4

7. Students in film class created an "Office" parody featuring many of =
the teachers at my school. They worked locally on the file and then =
posted to YouTube to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dg5k6pfNHQno =
Students in the same class did a digital story about the Lincoln's =
assassination with the "Captain O Captain" poem by Whitman: =
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3DQBfq_6eVzBM

8. Students in 7th grade art class worked in teams to research an =
artist and genre and then created a collaborative google doc =
presentation to share with the class.=20

9. For their final unit of the year in American History class, students =
in Chuck Taft's 8th grade US history teacher maintained their =
traditional 3 ring binder with a wiki. Students created oral histories, =
videos, voicethread stories, participated in a "Civil Rights Era =
Facebook Community, etc using web based tools. Project home page: =
http://turningpoints08.wikispaces.com/

I could go on and on and on here, but you get the point. None of these =
projects required any network storage at all. Derrel's idea of =
purchasing as much bandwidth as possible makes a great deal of sense. =
All of the money saved by not having to purchase expensive LAN storage =
systems could be diverted to paying for increased bandwidth. Perhaps =
even some of that could be used for professional development and/or =
faculty enhancement!!!

Going forward, we are currently working with a consultant to setup an =
off site hosted Word Press MU network which will give all interested =
students and teachers a blog space with powerful podcasting =
capabilities. After the audio files are created, students and teachers =
will be able to upload them to their blogs as a podcast file. The audio =
files will live on a server in California. This system gives us 100 GB =
of storage with 1 TB of monthly bandwidth throughput...all for the very =
reasonable cost of $600 annually!!!

I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Cheers!!

Matt Montagne