Thursday, June 12, 2008

Eliminating Servers Re: Best Platform for a New School

1. We just turned on our new website, hosted by FinalSite
2. We are converting from SASI internally for student information to Vera=
cross and they only do hosted solutions. Access by most (including facult=
y, parents and students to their portals) is through a browser; heavy use=
rs (admissions, registrar, etc.) also use a client.=20
3. Veracross also can host the full financial needs of a school, but that=
's "in the future" for us because of language issues.
4.We have Moodle hosted by a Moodle partner in the US
5. Our school help desk system is hosted.=20
6. Our antispam is hosted and, if I had the bandwidth (incredibly expensi=
ve here) I would move email off campus.=20
7. Next year, I intend to use Wikispaces private label for providing wiki=
s.=20

We still run Novell with it's e-directory and associated overhead but we =
are an "established" school so anything else we move to is a conversion. =
A new school could start with modern tools for file sharing and exchange=
=2E Novell does provide us a single point of authentication with LDAP for=
our hosted services, but you can get that from any number of systems. We=
do have an Aruba wireless system installed so students can bring their p=
ersonal laptops and authenticate to the student portal. That just gives t=
hem Internet access and printer access, but all of our file servers can b=
e accesses through WebDAV or through a browser (NetStorage).

We do still have an IIS server for test sites, but our reliance on that i=
s rapidly falling.=20

For all of our hosted services, I don't worry about backup, 24/7 access, =
hardware, or finding experts in all of those arcane systems to keep them =
running and updated. =20

Derrel

>>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:30 AM, in message
<45d35f0a0806120230l5793b65ei1bb5522780aba27b@mail.gmail.com>, Norman May=
nard