Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Re: Google for Education

I happened to logon to google docs today and saw this...it partially =
addresses your gripe. I am a gmail person myself, but agree with your =
"not always online" mentality!

Install offline access for Google Docs

Google Docs Offline will give you access to your documents when there is =
no internet connection.

This feature will download your docs onto this computer. Please make =
sure you are not using a public or shared computer.

You will need Google Gears for offline access, and the installer will =
restart your browser.

~Jayme


-----Original Message-----
From: Keith E Gatling [mailto:kgatling@MPH.NET]
Sent: Mon 6/16/2008 3:17 PM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Cc:=09
Subject: Re: Google for Education

A lot of people here have been talking about how great the Google Apps =
are.
They're free, they're platform independent, they use an open standard,
they're great for collaboration, etc.

But here's my question: how well do they compare to the apps people use =
in
the "real world?" Yes, I know that Word and Excel aren't free, but for =
the
money I pay, they have some features that I really like. Even back when
Claris/Appleworks came bundled with Macs I still preferred Word because =
of
the features that I had gotten used to having available to me. I tried =
the
Google word processor for an hour or so and found it quite annoying =
compared
to what I was used to.

The other thing that bugs me, even as I'm writing this in Gmail, is how =
the
whole thing seems to depend on being actively online all the time. I
remember loving Eudora as an email program because it only required you =
to
be online to send and receive mail, not to read or compose it. As much =
as I
love the fact that all my addresses and email follow me everywhere with
Gmail, it still irks me that I have to be online to compose or read the =
old
stuff (yes, I know about IMAP, but I'm not there yet, I'm still thinking =
in
the POP world).

Same thing with the other Google apps, I don't like that I have to be =
online
to get any work done. I don't like the idea that if I'm somewhere =
without an
Internet connection, I can't get any work done. Oh, I suppose it's great
that the files are available to me anywhere, but it seems like a giant =
step
backward to the days of Pine, VI, and other software that required you =
to be
logged onto the host, and dependent on a conneection, in order to do =
your
work.

Does anyone else share my concerns here, or are there some huge =
advantages
to being tethered to the Internet that I'm not aware of.

--=20
keg

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =
* *
Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach students.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =
* *

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =
attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L