Thursday, June 26, 2008

Re: school mailing

I believe it is important to have a specific day to send things home or have email updates/blasts, there is a big downside to emailing and going paperless. While it is definitely more efficient, does it not take the student from having to be responsible/accountable for permission slips and bringing items home? Believe me, I have struggled as a teacher, dean, and division head with efficiency and paperless vs. accountability, but in the end I am willing to use more paper and explain to the parents the accountability/responsibility philosophy. I believe these lessons benfits the students more and emailing permission slips and other important information home to the parents takes the student out of the equation of their education.

Mike Jenkins
Director of MS Studies
Battle Ground Academy
Franklin, Tennessee