Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Raiser's Edge

Laurie -

There are two ways to setup Raiser's Edge. One way sets up all the pieces
on the workstation (database engine, database, and client software). The
other way installs the database engine and database on a server and then the
workstation runs just the client software. In either case, all the pieces
(workstation & server) need to be running a modern flavor of a Microsoft
operating system (2000 and 2003 for server, XP for workstation). The first
(all workstation) setup is useful only if you have one user who will be
using the database. The second (both server and workstation) is the better
route as it divides the load over 2 boxes and allows for multiple users to
access the database simultaneously.

In my case, we have RE7 and EE7/FE7 installed on a very beefy server and our
workstations only run the client software.

I'm running both Raiser's Edge and Financial/Education Edge on my Mac with
Parallels 3 (the OS in my Parallels virutal machine is XP SP2). It runs on
my virtual XP on my Mac as well as it does on any standard XP PC we have on
campus. The is dedicating lots of RAM to the XP virtual machine on the Mac
(my MacBook has 2GB of RAM and I dedicate 750GB to my XP virtual machine).

I would NOT recommend running a local version of RE on Parallels (both the
database and the client on the same machine) as the SQL server process will
chew up too many CPU cycles and too much RAM and will make the client end
perform very badly.

Hope this helps,
Christopher

On 6/11/08 7:25 PM, "Laurie Yalem" <lyalem@churchillstl.org> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone is using Razor's Edge on a Mac running
> Parallels. We're an all Mac school, but are contemplating using the
> software. Also, I know nothing about this, I'm guessing it runs on a
> server, would it have to be a PC? Thanks.
>
> :) Laurie
>
> Laurie Yalem
> Technology Coordinator
> Churchill Center & School for Learning Disabilities
> 1021 Municipal Center Dr.
> Town & Country, MO 63131
> 314-997-4343
> lyalem@churchillstl.org