Monday, June 30, 2008

Re: Social web and marketing your school

Thanks, Bill,

I especially appreciate the admonition that we should all look at "why" we are using the social web before jumping in. I will contact you off-list.

For those on the list and interested in this topic, this article is for Independent School Magazine and is slated for the winter 09 issue I believe. Keeping this thread public will help us all hear from many on this topic but I will have additional
resources in the article so be looking for it as well!

Lorrie

dwfitzgerald@yahoo.com writes:
>Hello, Lorrie,
>
>I did a presentation on this at CASE/NAIS in January, 2007 -- my presentation powerpoint is at available on the OpenAcademic blog at http://openacademic.org/news/cold-day-philadelphia -- the presentation is licensed under a Creative Commons NC license.
>
>In my presentation, I referred to the blog of Clayton Wilcox as a both a sign of what can go wrong, and as a sign of what can go right. Clayton Wilcox's blog is no longer available at its original url, but thanks to the internet archive you can still
>finmd selected posts, such as the last post he made before closing his blog.
>
>http://web.archive.org/web/20060615151710/http://www.sptimesphotos.com/blogs/classroom/2006/05/end-of-blog-site.html
>
>Strictly by comment count, his blog was wildly successful. However, his blog also offers a case study in troll management.
>
>In a later presentation on this topic (that I gave last year at a regional CASE conference in Vegas) I had the pleasure of showing the MySpace pages of Kaplan Test Prep at http://www.myspace.com/kaplan, and my personal favorite, the MySpace page for the
>ICherry Hill Kaplan center: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=156155336
>
>One of the things I always try and reinforce with schools as they consider using MySpace/Facebook/SN du jour is that an online mistake is forever. Use the social web, but before you get in, make sure you know *why* you are using the social web.
>
>I'd love to see a copy of this article when it comes out, and I'd also love to hear more about the work you inquire about in questions 1-5 -- any way we could keep this thread public?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill

Lorrie Jackson
Director of Communications and Marketing
Lausanne Collegiate School
1381 West Massey Road
Memphis, TN 38120
ljackson@lausanneschool.com